65133Re: [bolger] Advanced Fisherman 70 isometric, (was: Yamato Launch isometeric (was Large, big, long Diablo ))

  • Christopher C. Wetherill
    Dec 31, 2010
      This is not a new problem is the maritime industries.  I spent 4 years driving by a pair of big schooners in Machias ME that had been beached and abandoned when they were no longer economical to operate.  The lore was that the owners had even left behind all the china aboard.

      I wonder what the age distribution of the boats in Gloucester is now.

      On 12/31/2010 1:15 PM, Fred Schumacher wrote:

      On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Pierce Nichols <rocketgeek@...> wrote:

      That begs the question of what happens to the enormous sunk (pun not intended) costs of the current fleet and where the capital for fleet replacement would come from.

      This is also an ongoing problem in farming. At some point you have to cut your losses and eat them. I put off buying a $15,000 grass seed stripper for several years. When I finally got it, it paid for itself in one year. The first ones who sell their old boats will not lose too much, since there will still be a market for their boats. The latter ones will only be worth scrap value.

      fred s.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic