64826Re: Here's something Bolger inspired

  • baysidewoodenboats
    Nov 1, 2010
      Joe,

      I'm with you about drawing inspiration from others, and the evolutionary process.

      Yes, there is a prototype "Three Brothers" being built in New Jersey, but the fellow attempting the build has been delayed by a knee injury. I think he is getting into it now, though. I really like the design, and my only concern is how well the bottom panels will take the twist and bend in the forward sections. The panels are proper "developable" shapes, but I call for 1/2" ply there and it is stiff stuff!. I've done a test assembly using 1/16" ply in a 1/8-scale model and that worked beautifully. The New Jersey builder is not at all concerned, and plans on running a few saw kerfs if necessary. My approach (if there turns out to be a problem) would be to use 1/4" in the first eight feet of the bottom panel, and laminate another layer after the initial sewing together. Having said that, I hope that 1/2" will do the job, and I plan on doing a test "un-folding" of the forward eight feet at full-size, using 1/2".

      Best wishes,

      Ross Lillistone http://www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Stromski <j.stromski@...> wrote:

      > Ross, my pleasure. As a proud owner of a Michalak AF4, I know of the Bolger
      > legacy. I'm a big music lover, and love listening to how newer bands put their
      > own twist on familiar styles, or even draw inspiration from specific artists. I
      > suspect boat design is much like that, in that there's really very little "new",
      > just constantly evolving ways of re-interpreting the past. Combine your own
      > talent with inspirational material that resonates with your soul. You can't go
      > wrong.
      > Has a prototype 3 Brothers been built? I'd be extremely interested in hearing
      > more about her...
      > Best,
      > Joe

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic