645[bolger] Re: Inventing a New Rig

  • Robert N. Lundy
    Nov 1, 1999
      It could definitely be done. Some fine points about this really neat boat:

      I spent much of one Sail Expo St. Pete studying this thing; The rotating
      mast with a sleeved sail wasn't all that new. Sea Pearls (one of the SBJ
      staples) had this feature back in the eighties. The hard part is the
      geometry of the boom rotation. About the only way to execute this in an
      owner built boat would be to really design (like Mr. Carlson, using real
      drafting tools, not like me with legal paper and a ruler) a weldment with
      fittings to bolt to a false bottom (like one of boger's mast steps) that
      would precisely locate the angle of boom vs mast. The only hard part after
      that would be the bend in an aluminum tube to form the boom.

      I'll see if I can get some pics at this years' Sail Expo (next weekend).

      Robert

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic