64486Re: A real forgotten gem, Bolger 554 Camping Trimaran using Hobie Cat parts!

  • hs
    Sep 22, 2010
      Amazing boat!

      I can see , and agree with the view that this boat`s design cleverly makes use of all those Hobie parts.

      But ....

      I also think that this design could be " cheap " , and make as much sense if you rigged it with simple lug rig ( for example ).

      My thinking is that it could still perform very well and you would have a lot less hardware to contend with.

      I`m not entirely sure you would " miss the point ", even though I agree and understand your reason for saying so.I suppose if one had to construct amas from scratch as well , the picture could change.

      The benefit and value of this design remains valid because a number of discarded beach cats are suitable for this design.

      Any comments?

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "wwwind2002" <datenmull@...> wrote:

      > Bruce,
      > magnificent work! I love the idea!
      >
      > I also love the idea of getting a bunch of hardware cheap. But I guess there is a hitch:
      > a Hobie cat, a very light boat, just accelerates when a gust hits. This reduces the strain on the rig. (A monohull heels, archiving the same)
      >
      > But a heavier multihull (which cant simply zoom off with every gust) requires a stronger rig. Will the Hobie mast stand up to the extra force?
      > And what about the sail? I assume (having never sailed one) it is cut very flat, for a fast boat is sailing on the wind all the time. It may lack power for a heavier boat.
      >
      > If you'd need a new rig you'd miss the point of the design.
      > Any comments?
      >
      > Hannes
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <hallman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Digging through old MAIB's I stumbled across this amazing lost gem of
      > > PCB's design. Coming from that period of his life that I value the
      > > most, where (IMO) he was at the peak of his creative game. Reflecting
      > > a maximum of his "break all rules" elegant frugal simplicity. From
      > > Feb 1, 1992, MAIB V09N18.
      > >
      > > The genius here that he recognized that the expensive part of a boat
      > > build is buying all the miscellaneous pieces, hardware/sails/etc...
      > > And, that it is possible to buy an old "un-loved" Hobie Cat 16 for
      > > nearly free. (Several are selling locally on Craigslist right now for
      > > $400, complete including sail and trailer.) Starting with those
      > > parts, you add a simple big curved box (23'6" long) weighing a mere
      > > 450lbs.
      > >
      > > This boat actually echo's a lot of his "box boat" values we admire,
      > > but with the Hobie Cat cannibalized, comes across as more refined.
      > >
      > > Cut a Hobie Cat in half, attach it to a 450 lbs simple plywood box,
      > > and you get a very capable camp cruiser that sleeps four. Genius.
      > >
      > > I worked her up using Free!Ship and I am convinced this boat could
      > > easily and quickly be achieved.
      > >

      > > http://hallman.org/bolger/554/554-01.html
      > >
      > > http://hallman.org/bolger/554/Bolger554CampingTrimaran.html

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic