      Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:47 PM
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Isometric of Birdwatcher

      Sounds to me like a very good thought.

      Where I am located there is a lot of sand beaches. No tides. So had
      thought to just haul up a bit on the beach in a sheltered spot and tie
      to a tree. Drop an anchor off the stern.

      What are your thoughts on a small flat storm jib sheeted in, if
      anchoring off the stern?

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eric14850@...> wrote:
      > If we are going to think out of the box considering shape and
      construction of boats why not think out of the box about anchoring?
      Whatever driving sails are best for Birdwatcher or Whalewatcher is there
      any good reason not to anchor from the stern and pretend the stern is
      the bow? That would make the boat very stable at anchor. The purpose
      of anchoring is to keep the boat safe and the crew comfortable.
      Anchoring from the stern does both these things better than bow
      anchoring a boat that does not lie well to a bow anchor. Anchoring from
      the stern would make the cockpit foremost to the wind which would be
      desirable when it is hot. It might interfere with a tented over
      cockpit, but I would think the tent could be arranged to deal with the
      wind from that direction. Another possibility is to anchor from a
      quarter cleat to tame the trashing back and forth, but I don't think it
      is as good a solution as stern anchoring. To get underway it would be
      easy to switch to bow anchoring by attaching a line from the bow to the
      anchor rode using a rolling hitch and then releasing the anchor rode.
      However, Chinese Lug (junk) and Balanced Lug sails can be lowered and
      raised on any point of sail so stern anchoring is no problem
      what-so-ever, so any boat rigged this way need not be concerned with
      which end of the boat the anchor line extends from.
      > Eric
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mason smith" goodboat@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Nels, that would take some thinking. That is, to decide whether to
      use the Solent Lug or not on another Birdwtcher. I'd probably go for it.
      I solved the problems of rigging well enough. You need a very good
      downhaul setup to get enough tension on the halyard and luff, and I did
      that with a two-part downhaul using the crincle in the tack as if it
      were a block, and leading the fall down through the mast partner bracing
      to a cleat farther down on the mast. Also solved the storage matters on
      deck for the extra spar, the yard. I liked the extra horsepower. But as
      compared with furling by rolling the mainsail up on its leech, dropping
      the whole sail inboard and then fisting it into some sort of order was a
      nuisance. One could leave the yard up and roll from the leech some
      times, but the windage would be great in any breeze and you'd want the
      thing down. That can be a worse problem with the simpler sail: the
      windage can be so great that it is dangerous to try to take down the
      spar with furled sail on it. There's a point in lowering that spar where
      as a huge lever it has the advantage of you, and it feels as if it could
      pry apart the boat. Phil and Susanne and I met such conditions at the No
      Octane Regatta, and left the rig up and the boat at anchor overnight
      rather than risk a disaster in lowering it. Such would never be the
      problem with the Solent. By the way we could not, or I could not, keep
      the Birdwatcher from swinging hugely around its anchor, lickety-hell,
      alike to sever the head from any swimmer near.

      > > I would say that the Lug is ultimately a safer rig and that the
      biggest disadvantage with it is having the sail fill the cabin/cockpit
      when you drop it. This would, by the way, be no great problem at all
      with another person helping. I speak from doing it solo. I furled what I
      could to the yard and let much of the lower forward part hang inside,
      kinda messy when it wasn't bagged.

      > > ---Mason

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic