64361Re: Isometric of Birdwatcher

  • prairiedog2332
    Sep 4, 2010
      Mason,

      Definitely a track on the main would help I would think. Too bad one
      could not install a track on the yard. Can't help thinking maybe a bit
      smaller sail with no battens and a lighter yard as well. Maybe carbon
      fiber or an old windsurfer mast?

      Maybe if going out solo just reef the solent rig before heading out?
      Probably a second shorter sprit boom so the forward end doesn't hang up
      on the jib when tacking? Sure, it doesn't look as "neat" at the foot
      but that area of the sail is not in much wind anyway. Is it easier to
      shake out a reef than tie one in, in case the wind goes light and looks
      like it will stay that way?

      Looks like this would bring the top of the yard down to about the height
      of the original mast and bottom of it down to a reachable height if you
      want to drop it into the slot.

      http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/Image1.jpg

      Do you think a 3.5 would work on a bracket? I have a line on a 3.5
      2-stroke Tohatsu. (with reverse)

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Adirondack Goodboat" <goodboat@...>
      wrote:

      > Nels, I hadn't read Bob Larkin's account of sailing the Birdwatcher 2
      with his various sails and combinations. He certainly is a great
      observer and fixer and experimenter, an asset to all who build the
      design. Everything he says makes good sense to me. I think my experience
      of bringing down the Solent lug was better, maybe because I never had
      particularly hard conditions. It comes down, is the main thing, and fast
      if you let it. I think I developed a practice whereby I kept downward
      tension on the luff while letting the halyard slip through the other
      hand, so as to keep the yard under control. I do that when lowering the
      standing lug on my Goodboats. It seemed important, if I remember
      rightly, to be able to let the foot of the yard go forward as it comes
      down. Except for that, and if it is satisfactory in passing by the
      snotter block, I guess I can see the contraption at the foot of the
      yard, turning the rig into a gunther. I tried a sort of parrel which I
      attached once the foot of the yard was high enough, and the first
      owner/builder had a shock cord arrangement along the mast to tame the
      heel of the yard, but in the end I decided to let the solent be the
      solent.

      > I think the best of all these solutions for the Birdwatcher for most
      of us would be the original leg o' mutton sail, with its luff on a
      track, and the small jib tacked on deck.

      > I too always thought of a mizzen, if only for a steadying sail. I
      tried a drogue from the bow, but the darn boat sailed around that as
      badly as around an anchor. So perhaps a short spar with a patch of
      canvas furled on it, a sprit boom, and two sheets, with a step and
      partner as far forward as possible, just to clear the main spritboom?
      But again, too complicated.

      > Birdwatcher 1, motor mount sticking through the side, jib, steering as
      designed, motor seldom used, oars for all close maneuvers. That would
      be my formula. ---Mason

      His
> [...]
      option
      > of the little jib when going out solo. Add Bob's idea for converting
      it
      > to a sliding gunter?
      >
      > I have the original plans which could be modified slightly adding a
      > weighted centerboard maybe or a doubled bottom and the anti-slap
      pad.
      > Would you keep the original steering set-up? And what do you think
      of
      > building with 3/8" MDO rather than 1/4" standard plywood?
      >
      > Nels
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mason smith" goodboat@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Nels, that would take some thinking. That is, to decide whether to
      use
      > the Solent Lug or not on another Birdwtcher. I'd probably go for it.
      > solved the problems of rigging well enough. You need a very good
      > downhaul setup to get enough tension on the halyard and luff, and I
      did
      > that with a two-part downhaul using the crincle in the tack as if it
      > were a block, and leading the fall down through the mast partner
      bracing
      > to a cleat farther down on the mast. Also solved the storage matters
      on
      > deck for the extra spar, the yard. I liked the extra horsepower. But
      as
      > compared with furling by rolling the mainsail up on its leech,
      dropping
      > the whole sail inboard and then fisting it into some sort of order
      was a
      > nuisance. One could leave the yard up and roll from the leech some
      > times, but the windage would be great in any breeze and you'd want
      the
      > thing down. That can be a worse problem with the simpler sail: the
      > windage can be so great that it is dangerous to try to take down the
      > spar with furled sail on it. There's a point in lowering that spar
      where
      > as a huge lever it has the advantage of you, and it feels as if it
      could
      > pry apart the boat. Phil and Susanne and I met such conditions at
      the No
      > Octane Regatta, and left the rig up and the boat at anchor overnight
      > rather than risk a disaster in lowering it. Such would never be the
      > problem with the Solent. By the way we could not, or I could not,
      keep
      > the Birdwatcher from swinging hugely around its anchor,
      lickety-hell,
      > alike to sever the head from any swimmer near.
      > >
      > > I would say that the Lug is ultimately a safer rig and that the
      > biggest disadvantage with it is having the sail fill the
      cabin/cockpit
      > when you drop it. This would, by the way, be no great problem at all
      > with another person helping. I speak from doing it solo. I furled
      what I
      > could to the yard and let much of the lower forward part hang

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic