64335Re: [bolger] Re: bobcat--advice? plans?

  • Patrick Crockett
    Sep 1, 2010
      Jay:

      I totally envy you -- I'd love to live in Port Townsend!

      I used to race a one-design dinghy. There were guys who would leave their shrouds attached so all they had to do was seat the mast in the step and attach the fore-stay. Some would leave the mainsail foot rope in the boom (and roll the sail around the boom rather than fold it and put it into a bag) so they only had to thread the luff rope into the mast to raise the sail. (A lot of catamaran sailors seem to do this.) Some left the rudder attached, but it seems like a really minimal amount of time to slip the rudder's pintles into its gudgeons. Seems to me that usually the most time-consuming thing is getting the mast up -- that's where I'd focus my first time-saving efforts. And if you don't have to go far (or fast) to get from home to the water (and back), you could minimize the tie-downs for the hull and spars. When I'm trundling a half mile from a rented cottage on Ocracoke Island to the boat ramp or back, I rarely bother to tie down the mast -- I just lay it on the boat and it does just fine for the few blocks of slow island driving. In the other hand, for the two hours of highway driving from home to Ocracoke I carefully tie the mast to the boat and wrap a rope or multiple bungee cords around the sail, yard, boom, and mast to make sure the sail doesn't flap to death -- this takes 15 or 20 minutes to tie up and untie.

      Patrick

      On 09/01/2010 10:22 PM, Jay Bazuzi wrote: I love that I live close to the water. I'm Port Townsend, WA, USA. The city has water on 3 sides. There are 3 boat launches available to me, with drive times <= 5 minutes. So at least that part is quick!

      I had another thought today: what about leaving the rudder on? I take it off and stow it in the boat when the boat is on the trailer, but is that important?

      Many trailer-sailors have deep rudders, so you have to pull them out to avoid dragging on the ground. But the Bobcat's rudder is no deeper than the small skeg, so that's not an issue. It would save a  step.

      Mine came with a small electric trolling motor, which is a real pain - there's no good place on a Bobcat to put one. It has seized up, so I'm leaving it at home now, which saves another step. I guess I should leave the battery home, too.

      -J

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic