64329Re: [bolger] Isometric of Bolger's 1 Man live-aboard concept.

  • Fred Schumacher
    Sep 1, 2010
      On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Bruce Hallman <hallman@...> wrote:

      This has long been one of my favorite Bolger designs, for several
      reasons. It simply crams in maximum capability into minimum space,
      with a strong emphasis on function. 19 feet x 7'6" means it is a
      modest project to tackle, and to keep up and berth.

      Was this a design from Phil's pre-box days, before he abandoned complex curves for the possibilities of parsimony? I thought it a good mental exercise to take this concept and apply it to the more space utilization efficient Micro and see what comes up.

      By replacing Micro's salient keel with a narrow, two foot wide box keel under a 9/8ths scale up of Micro, it's possible to achieve the functionality of the One Man boat in a smaller (17.5 x 6.75 x2) boat that would be easier to build. It would have standing headroom, without the need of a pilot house, two berths, galley and head with shower space, room for a Tortoise on top and 7 feet of cockpit, 50 gallons tankage and 75 cubic feet of storage.

      I think whole books could be written about the possibilities of the Micro form factor.

      fred s.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic