64328Re: [bolger] Re: bobcat--advice? plans?

  • Jay Bazuzi
    Aug 31, 2010
      I'm on the verge of getting rid of my Bobcat, because I don't have time for it, but maybe if I could optimize things, I would sail it more.

      I keep my sail attached to the gaff and boom.

      I keep the 4 lines going aloft in on the mast. The ends get paired & figure-8 knots, so they don't get lost. Then the bundle is clove-hitched to the mast, to keep things neat.

      I raise the mast, then attach the lines to the sail & run them through the right blocks, etc.

      I'm thinking about removing the lazy jack and the topping lift. They're rarely useful to me. A single gasket is enough to keep the cockpit clear when I drop the sail.  Having only two lines aloft is way less work, since they won't tangle with each other.

      I have a cover that is meant to go on when the boat is rigged, so it can be parked next to a boat ramp. It would be really convenient. As it is, I never use that cover.

      When I get home, I hang the mast and the spars/sail bundle up in my garage, to keep them out of the sun. That's another delay.

      -J

      On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM, robertchamberland <chamberlands@...> wrote:

      I kept the sail permanently on the spars also all the halliards and sheets. I made a long bag that everything would fit in. I also had a bag for the mast. When launching I rove all the halliards, set the boom and gaff on the boat with all the hoops lined up over the HOLE and kept them in line with a 4" piece of PVC then raised the mast and dropped it down the hole. It helps to have someone hold this assembly so it doesn't roll off the boat. I sometimes got the halliards lined up wrong but it was still a quick enough process. I'll post a picture if I can figure how.
      Bob Chamberland

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dkp390" <dkp390@...> wrote:

      > Boat ideas:
      >
      > I took out the sailboat For the first time in over a year yesterday and that got me thinking of improvements again.  As usual I did ignore the launch checklist created and even used the first few times. Why not use and update it each time? It might even remind me to check trailer tire pressure. All did go quite well though, no major items forgotten, no embarrassment, damage or do-overs worth mention.
      >
      > Something I did notice was how much work it is to get out on the water trailering for a day sail.  How nice it would be to be able to leave it in the water and mostly ready to go, I could imagine setting up once a year then at each sail remove sail cover hoist halyards and sail away.  The advantage of indoor storage, infrequent use and distance from lakes in the area make trailering a necessity for me though. So I'm thinking of ways to simplify the process. The boat is a Bolger Bobcat 12' 6" gaff rigged catboat. It has no standing rigging but has mainsheet, throat and peak halyards, topping lift, lazy jacks and uses individual sail ties along the gaff and boom. The mast is carried along the side of her on the trailer and needs to be stepped each time so a mast tabernacle can be a possible future improvement.
      >
      > What I thought of doing first is to find a way to transport with the sail bent onto the spars which would require a tight fitting cover to protect the sail while holding both gaff and boom. With this method it may also be better to carry in the boat rather than alongside on the trailer. My current way of attaching the luff to the mast uses rope cringles looped through grommets in the sail that must be slid up the mast as it is stepped. This will not work well with spars in the way while stepping the mast so I may need to leave them on like mast hoops and lash, toggle or snap shackle the sail to them. Being able to keep the halyards and other rigging on the mast would also simplify setup, but require another cover to protect and organize the lines while towing. It normally takes almost an hour to get everything ready but with these few changes I hope to reduce that by half.
      >
      > Another potential efficiency improvement would be better gear storage onboard. I also found myself moving loads of stuff form the boat to the tow vehicle at home, then back at launching; reverse and repeat again for hauling out and returning home. With gear properly stowed in and lashed to the boat it could be left there while on the road. First here should be attachments for the floorboards, oars and ground tackle. Then gear tie-downs for items stowed forward under the deck and a cover for the storage space aft.

> [...]

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic