63917Re: [bolger] Re: Single Gaff Halyards

  • John Kohnen
    Jul 10, 2010
      I can forgive most minor gaffes about gaffs and yards <kaff, kaff> without
      feeling the irresistible urge to jump in with a paroxysm of pedantry. But
      one error, supported by a large class of affordable small sailboats, that
      really gets my blood stirring is Sunfish sailers calling the spar that
      supports the upper edge of their lateen sails the "upper boom"!! "It's a
      YARD, morons!" I feel like yelling at them. <harrumph> I'm glad I got that
      off my chest. <g>

      A gaff _always_ has its heel bearing against the mast, held with jaws or a
      gooseneck fitting. Yards _never_ have their heels attached to the mast.
      But never say "never" because the yard of a gunter sail has its heel
      attached to the mast! <g> It's still a yard because the gunter descended
      from lug rigs. At any rate, you're safe if you see a spar with neither end
      attached to the mast and call it a "yard."

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.