63914Re: Single Gaff Halyards

  • jdmeddock
    Jul 10, 2010
      I wonder if a setup similar to a mainsheet bridle on the gaff
      would work. I'll call it a gaff traveler. A length of low-stretch line for a gaff bridle bent on at throat and near mid-gaff. A block floating on the bridle with halyard bent to block's shackle. Stopper knots (with twing balls so block won't jam) placed in the bridle; forward stopper knot placed so the yard goes up with the peak eased a bit, and the aft one so the block is kept from jamming at the aft position before tension comes on. This would keep luff tight until the throat is peaked and as the halyard tension comes up the gaff-traveler block drifts aft to tension the peak.

      This should provide similar tension geometry to the more normal single-line circuitous halyard setup with a lot less line tail in the cockpit. I suppose it might put more compresssion load on the gaff if the gaff traveler bridle ended up needing to be short to make it function. (short meaning more parallel to the boom)

      Maybe I'll call it a graveler or gaffler.

      Justin

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Adirondack Goodboat" <goodboat@...> wrote:

      > Bruce, I don't think it would be meaningful to call the Solent lug on the alternative (not simpler, rather more complicated) Birdwatcher rig a gaff of any sort. Any lug, I think, is notable for no attachment of luff of sail to mast. The Solent halyard brings the "yard" tight to the masthead sheave, or, if the sail is reefed, a parrel holds the yard very close to the mast, and a downhaul, tensing the luff, hauls the head of yard and sail high. Tres different from gaff. I have little experience with gaffs but geometrically it does seem that a short gaff would do fine with a single halyard placed at the right point. Some of LFH's gaffs are that short; I wonder whether he shows two halyards.(Just looked: Meadowlark and Block Island boat, with very short gaffs, show two halyards and are convincing that that's generally best.) I wouldn't want to do without the various aspects of control the two halyards of the usual gaff provide.
      >
      > Mason

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic