      The underlying principal can be demonstrated using a ruler and a table edge.  Lay the ruler with 3 inches hanging over the edge and pluck it with your finger.  Now lay it with 6 inch overhang and pluck it.  You can also infer that forms will increase the stiffness from the write-up for Payson's Pirogue, where PCB instructs that the forms remain in place until after the gunwales and thwarts are fitted because the structure lacks stiffness otherwise,

      V/R
      Chris

      On 7/9/2010 11:08 PM, Giuliano Girometta wrote:
      You are probably dealing with a natural resident frequency of the boat hull that is sincronous with the vibrating frequency of the sander (So the boat is acting like a bell). Just try to put a couple of weight fore and aft or one in the middle and that may take care of the problem. Otherwise may be a temporary diagonal brace between the sheers may alter the resident frequency of the hull away fron the frequency of the sander.

      Giuliano

      --- On Sat, 7/10/10, Patrick Crockett <pcrockett@...> wrote:

      From: Patrick Crockett <pcrockett@...>
      Subject: [bolger] Help with noise
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 12:22 AM

      I'm doing some repairs on my Windsprint, and when I use the random
      orbital sander to fair the epoxy/fiberglass the whole boat resonates
      with a very loud, unpleasant hum. The neighbors finally complained
      today. I don't really blame them.

      I can't move it indoors, as I don't have a garage or shed big enough.

      Does anyone have any ideas for sound suppression?

      Patrick

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic