      Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 11:30 AM
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Single Gaff Halyards

      On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 8:08 AM, adventures_in_astrophotography
      <jon@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have experience with single gaff halyards, as opposed to separate peak and throat halyards? I've seen these on a few rigs, usually with relatively short gaffs, such as the 18'-8" Mackinac boat in the latest BDQ (also seen in 50 Wooden Boats). I suspect they must not work as well on longer gaffs or we'd see them more often, but I'd be interested to hear from somebody with real experience.
      >
      > Jon

      Doesn't the Solent lug rig (famous with the original simple
      Birdwatcher) have a single halyard gaff? So, that makes me guess that
      the variable is both the length of the gaff in combination with the
      angle of the gaff. (IOW, the more vertical the angle, the longer it
      can be sustained with a single halyard.)

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic