63714Re: A real forgotten gem, Bolger 554 Camping Trimaran using Hobie Cat parts!

  • graeme19121984
    Jun 13, 2010
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mason smith" <goodboat@...> wrote:
      > However you get it, a vee-shaped underwater form has less wetted
      > area for the displacement than a level flat bottom. Other factors
      > of hydrodynamics surely come into play, too...

      Mason, I think it's the other way about: the Vee shape having more wetted area for the same displacement.

      The vee-shape has better flow lines though, so above lower fractional hull speeds where wetted area drops away as an important component of resistance then the Vee has it. Above hull speed... for this shallow Vee, bets are off.

      I think this tri vaka may share some faults of the Pivers. The run may drag a large stern wave, for instance, but then I think this one more of a mono with outriggers than a tri. A fast mono.

      Graeme
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic