63661Re: [bolger] 16 foot Canoe Yawl

    Jun 4, 2010
      On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM, John and Kathy Trussell
      <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

      > This is one of PCB’s ‘pretty’ (as opposed to harshly functional) boats and it certainly deserves to be built in some numbers.
      >
      > I have almost finished a ‘Storm 17’ (see the Swallow Boats web page) which is about the same size and shape as the 16 ft Canoe Yawl and I’m pretty sure that the Canoe Yawl is a lot more work than an Old Shoe…  There is, of course, no comparison in looks.
      >
      > JohnT

      Cool. Here is the URL of a Storm17, and yes that is a very similar
      shape to Bolger's 16 ft Canoe Yawl

      http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/content/view/67/84/

      I agree with you very much, with a couple of nuances:

      I think that a rounded shape boat rows better than an hard chine boat,
      because of less wetted surface area and less weight, so this 16ft
      Canoe Yawl (with oar power axillary) would be more "functional" when
      rowing as compared to a hard chine boat.

      My comments about building time comes from my experiences of building
      a 16ft Micro and of building a 16ft lapstrake double ended Bolger
      Cartoon 5. Lapstrake construction can take much longer if you demand
      glossy fit and finish, or it can go very quickly if you are willing to
      settle for work boat finish.

      That Cartoon 5 lapstrake build of mine was very much "work boat
      finish" and it took only a few weeks of spare time, I forget how many
      manhours, about 50 or 60. Prior to that I build a similar lapstrake
      Spur II in, (I forget), roughly about 80 manhours

      http://community.webshots.com/album/360982713bZwutE

      In contrast, my Micro Navigator took about 450 hours. (I could do it
      again based on what I learned in 200 manhours.)
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic