63653RE: [bolger] Re: Idaho: some numbers and photos

  • Chester Young
    Jun 3, 2010

      Maximo:

      Congratulations on the launch.  Very nice detail on the interior.

      I run Esther Mae (Tennessee) with a four stroke 25hp and being close to the plans (double 3/8” bottom with 3/8” hull and cabin top).  When first purchased the engine had been sitting for about two years.  The engine started on the day of the test drive without much hassle and produced boat speeds of 12 – 14 mph with economy of 10 mpg running wide open throttle.  Now at over 800 hours and in excess of 4,500 miles I regularly run at 16 mph but have not checked the economy lately.  I suspect that the biggest factor in the speed is ethanol in the gasoline.  I regularly run a gas preservative that is intended to eliminate buildup in the system.  It is possible that over time it is still removing gunk from the carburetor.  I talked with a service technician at the local Yamaha dealer and he said that with the pre 2001 models the jets in the carburetors are large enough to deal with the ethanol and that there is little that can be done to eliminate the effect of the stuff.  Apparently newer models are more sensitive to the ethanol and suffer reduced performance if left sitting for very long.

      Respectfully

      Caloosarat