63363Re: Bolger cruising trimaran?

  • jhess314
    Mar 29, 2010
      Proaconstrictor,

      What are the good trimaran designs or elements that have either not been developed to their potential, or have been abandoned prematurely?

      What do you find about the Hughes and Brown designs that are compelling for sizes which are appropriate for ocean cruising? Could you elaborate further about the SeaClipper and SeaRunner designs? What is obsolete about them, or what could be improved?

      Why are trimarans now considered obsolete for ocean cruising? Is it just the whim of current fashion, or is there a more basic reason? If one were only interested in safe, long-distance cruising, not racing, could a trimaran be designed to carry a substantial load and still be weatherly?

      What did you mean when you said that "Plywood is no longer really practical under 30 feet"? Did you mean 'over' 30 feet? Either way, I'm not sure where you are coming from.

      And now to make a feeble attempt to bring this back to a Bolger topic, could a narrow, easy-to-build, Bolger square boat, but with a vee'd bow section, be used as the main hull for a trimaran? Possibly like the Schorpioen, but larger, and with no step in the hull for the amas to fit into?

      John

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "proaconstrictor" <proaconstrictor@...> wrote:

      > I believe he did design a 35 footer...
      >
      > I would not touch any multihull he designed with a 10 foot pole. He just didn't get it, or alternatively was working in the dark zones. I mean there are things that multihulls can do that go largely unexplored. Both in terms of stuff one used to commonly see, out there, and stuff that is not commonly done. But in general I don't think he had an aptitude for it.
      >
      > If I was looking for an ocean capable catamaran that was easy to build, and possibly cheap, I would look at Oram, or Kelsall. Kelsall is a genius and while I tend not to be drawn to his stuff, I know a number of very dialed in people who went to one of his seminars on KISS and came away sold. Oram is probably the best current value guy for large cats. For trimarans. I would build anything Kurt Hughes designed, or Brown if speed and/or cost were an issue.
      >
      > Unfortunately with tris, nobody has really carried on the flame. There is an obvious need to get some decent boats in a simple format like stitch and glue, but nobody is doing it. The reason is that tris are largely considered obsolete for cruising (once you get over the folding/trilering sizes that Farrier does). Brown wise the Searunners are largely obsolete, and the beautiful constant camber boats kinda went down with the Dean Company. The Seaclippers make sense, but could also use some updating which probably won't happen under current conditions. One of the issues is that in the sizes people currently want in these boats some kind of core construction is really required. Plywood is no longer really practical under 30 feet. In NA there really isn't a solution to compare with Duflex down under.
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jhess314" <j.hess@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone know if Bolger designed an ocean-capable cruising trimaran?
      > > Thanks, John

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic