63028Re: Stitch & Glue Gloucester Light Dory - The real answer

  • prairiedog2332
    Feb 8 12:39 PM
      Another option is Michalak's Smoar - 12' version of Roar2.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/roar2/index.htm

      ("Carol Arlene" in the photo.)

      The reason I like this design is that it is very light-weight if you
      have to carry it up to the cabin if security might be an issue. I am
      looking at making it from light marine grade plywood or even
      underpayment if encapsulated. Should bring it down to 50 lb or less.

      I like it also as it has a narrow bottom - easy to row - much like a
      canoe only wider, and a nice seat can be installed in the stern for a
      passenger. I think my canoe cart I purchased from MEC might also work
      with this design.

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Myles J. Swift" <mswift@...> wrote:

      > Murray,
      >

      > If you want a cheap and fast build in a rowboat you might like June
      Bug. I
      > have a spot on a lake and row June Bug in the morning calm myself. It
      rows
      > quite well with one person. My wife and I sometimes row together for
      > exercise. The plus is that of all the easily handled boats, it has the
      most
      > initial stability. It is under 100 pounds and with the flat bottom is
      easy
      > to pull up onto a dock. Bolger built it to replace his own worn out
      light
      > dory because he wanted something to row back and forth to his float
      that was
      > stable enough to set moorings and move some weight, rated for near
      1000
      > pounds. Row it with short strong strokes and it moves out.
      >

      > MylesJ

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic