63018Re: Stitch & Glue Gloucester Light Dory

  • graeme19121984
    Feb 7, 2010
      I beleive it was Jim Michalak's second attempt at boatbuilding after a Teal back in 1986. He was put off by the effort (time??) and cost involved in the jig construction for a one off boat. He thought he could use the sides expansions and mold dimensions for the Gull as given in Payson's "Go Build Your Own Boat" and stitch one together. Payson agreed. It worked, and Michalak thought afterwards that the method might work for non-instants like Bolger's Thomaston Galley and many of Chapelle's designs. He also thought that the method might also be able to incorporate frames, chine-logs, etc, and not just be used for stitch and tape adaptations.

      Amongst the good stuff on Chuck Merrell's site is his "Private Postings" page where you'll find PDFs of 9 issues and an index of "Instant Boatbuilder" to download and save. You'll find Michalak's "epistle" on building the Light Dory in an instant in Issue #7 at page 1 http://www.boatdesign.com/postings/pages/instantbb.htm

      I note that for his much later plan offering of a cut down stitch-and-tape adaptation of the Bolger Light Dory that Michalak insists on the necessity of many molds to hold the sides shape. Their removal is about the last major step in the construction sequence outlined. The numerous molds are still rather cheaper and less involved I think than the jig options given by Payson for the Light Dory VI. I wonder if the outside chine-logged Light Dory V double-ender, the one Bolger thought the best performer, might go together much easier and more cheaply still if done the Michalak way?

      Graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography" <jon@...> wrote:

      > Hi Murry,
      >
      > > I am wondering if anybody on here has built the Gloucester Light Dory using stitch and glue rather than chine logs?
      > >
      > > I am looking at the Gloucester LIght Dory and Sam Devlin's Oarling dory as possibilities for my next boat. Does anybody have experience with both designs and any advice to share?
      >
      > I built the Long Light Dory using stitch and glue. This boat is a 19'-6" version of the GLD. It's no trouble to build that way - basically just two long taped fillets on the inside. The design was developed for stitch & glue from the start.
      >
      > The big difference, if I'm not mistaken, is that the original was not intended for "instant" style construction, where the panel shapes are predefined and the location of frames or molds are indicated on the panel layouts. As such, you have to set the molds on a jig or ladder frame and spile or otherwise take the panel shapes from the setup. At this point a chine log starts to make things easier because it defines the bottom edge of the side panels. You could spring a batten to accomplish the same result if you really want to use S&G, but you'll have to get the bottom fitted and somehow attached to the sides before you can flip it over and off the jig to start taping the inside joints.
      >
      > It might be worth emailing Payson to see if he's come up with predefined panels for the GLD. He did it for another older non-instant Bolger design, Sea Hawk.
      >
      > Jon Kolb
      > www.kolbsadventures.com

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic