61885Re: [bolger] Re: Tender for classic yacht

  • Christopher C. Wetherill
    Nov 3, 2009
      Harry,

      I think the real question is to see if the pot hoist ( I interpreted the original post to be referring to lifting something like a lobster pot) will cause problems.  It may be necessary to have a pad to absorb the impact of the pot on the side.

      Bear in mind also that the true effect of the weight of the boat is to raise the center of gravity of the host and increse the severity of any tendency to roll.

      I think also that the best approach may be to do a low cost build and replace it when the bottom abrades.

      V/R
      Chris

      Harry James wrote:
      I hadn't thought about the Diablo, how stable is for boarding by creaky
      old guys. It would be over a boarding step across the transom

      HJ

      Walter wrote:

      Anybody got any recommendations for a tender out of the Bolger
      repertoire for a classic 65 footer. I crew on it and may be skippering
      it soon. The current hard bottom zodiac with 15 hp just doesn't look
      right. It needs to go ashore over crappy beaches, be easy to get in and
      out of for old creaky folks. Having the ability to pack a pot puller and
      downriggers would be a plus.  It goes on and off the aft cabin with a
      boom lift powered by hydraulics weight isn't to big an issue. It should
      look good. It would operate under power.  My son thinks the boys launch
      would be the ticket, but he has wanted to build one since before being a
      teenager. Here is a couple of links to the host boat "Princeton Hall"

      http://www.dv.com/dv/magazine/2005/0105/DV0501whalesFig06.jpg

      http://www.intersea.org/images/prhall.jpg

      I suggest Bolger's Diablo- it will run with a 15 HP motor, has a lot of reserve stability for pulling pots, fishing, etc, and you could easily reinforce the bottom for landing on rough beaches.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)