6186Re: "Queen Mab" (design #638)Construction

  • albert m.straub
    Jul 24, 2000
      --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Marc " <marcos@m...> wrote:

      Hi Marc,

      Sorry for the delayed response.

      The only water my QM has seen as yet is from the garden hose in
      removing the amine "blush" from the epozy coating.

      I am already past the design weight without the decking and seat. I
      expect to be closer to 40 lbs when she is finished. I guess I could
      stand to lose 15 lbs anyway. My feeling is that a 25 lb boat might be
      structurally marginal, given the "feel" of the okume plywood that I
      am
      using, which has resulted in 30 lbs sans deck, seat, and combing. One
      might need balsa plywood (if there is such a thing.

      Will post more pictures when the deck is on.

      ps. Weight measurements before and after epoxy coating show about a
      5%
      to 10% weight increase (depending on the part) but I prefer the
      "hardened" surface for durability.

      Al (in Ann Arbor)

      > Al,
      >
      > I just saw your post, and photos about your Queen Mab project and
      I'm
      > wondering how she turned out?
      > It's great to see a photo that gives a good idea of what she looks
      > like, a sweet looking little boat that has been on my wish
      > list for awhile now. As I recall the designed weight is about 27
      > pounds, is it true?? How does she sail? I'm dying
      > for an ultralight dinghy to carry on top of my Honda, pick up with
      one
      > hand and fool around in. Thanks for the photos.
      >
      > Marc in SF
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic