61727Re: Check Gloucester Daily Times 10/12/09

  • BrianA
    Oct 14, 2009
      Amen, Susanne

      Just for instance, the pirates around the Horn of Africa did not get their start pirating supertankers. They got their start pirating each other when they were still fishing boats, and then started pirating fishing boats from abroad "poaching" on their turf. I would not consider a police car an immoral product, just the opposite really.

      Thoroughly well put

      Cheers, Brian

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susanne@..." <philbolger@...> wrote:

      > Dear Maximo,
      > I appreciate your concerns. Let me add to the picture in this order:
      > 1.- This is all optional to the local/national authorities, i.e. subject to their decisions.
      > -------
      > 2.- The intent is to provide local capability to build, maintain, replace in perpetuity locally-built craft.
      > 3.- On this basis, other uses for such types and their derivatives can be developed, if and when required for fishing, people- and cargo-transport, scientific work, etc.
      > 4.- Instead of selling so-called 'developing' nations finished/high-mark-up/mega-bucks 'western types' from BOSTON WHALER types to larger patrol-craft from THORNYCROFT, LUERSSEN, FINCANTIERI for instance, they can save much money while enhancing local 'Can-Do' spirit, pride, and hopefully a commercial future; once you can build these light types, you are on your way to progressively larger types for off-shore capability and multi-week endurance.
      > 5. Armament, drone-equipment, 'daughter boats'/tactical craft will all be up to local/national interests.
      > -------
      > 6.- The purpose is to enable Sovereignty-Enforcement to protect national boundaries at sea, and thus protection of national fishing rights, protection against illegal dumping of waste by foreign ships, and law-enforcement against piracy, drug/gun-running, i.e, any type of disruption of local/regional commerce such as fishing, short-sea-shipping by indiginous transport etc.
      > 7.- Instead of contributing to "war" this should help keep the peace locally/regionally with locally-built craft, and commensurate pride, and over time an increasing self-definition of professionalism ranging from the emerging boat-building industry to the corps of leaders and crew running these craft under national flag.
      > 8.- In foreign-policy lingo one might refer to this as 'soft power'-deployment by the US Navy - instead of pointing gun-barrels and sitting ominously on the horizon and on local leader's chest. Making friends through sharing of locally-relevant knowledge-base (vs. autoclave-dependent carbonfiber dreams even the USN can barely afford !) follows a post-colonial policy-tradition that depends on two-way respect and shared interest in terms of security, local/regional commerce, socio-economics - i.e. the very foundation of peaceful co-existence and even security-alliances.
      > -------
      > 9.- Enabling industrial policies are the farthest from 'making money off war'. Local/national capability to insist on sovereign rights inshore and offshore might keep all sort of things from getting out of hand.
> [...]
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic