61715Re: [bolger] Re: Check Gloucester Daily Times 10/12/09

    Oct 12, 2009
      On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM, dnjost <davidjost@...> wrote:

      > Congratulations on at least the recognition by the Navy that this is a needed and viable option in many parts of the globe. I hope it comes to fruition.
      >
      > D. Jost

      I suspect that PCB would have been very happy to see some commercial
      boatbuilding returned to the Gloucester waterfront! This was a major
      goal in his life's work, especially during the last several years.

      Also, I had a chance to discuss this project with the Navy rep for a
      couple hours during the Bolger Memorial weekend. This particular
      aspect of the Navy design study commissions of the last years was the
      most exciting to me. In short, the Navy was seeking to develop a
      network of new third world 'coast guards' in order to get local
      connections, in the event of a future crisis they would then already
      have the beginnings of local alliances so they can know who to call to
      distinguish the local good guys from the local bad guys in remote
      obscure third world ports. To accomplish this they needed very low
      tech coast boats to provide to the locals. Boats which would serve
      double duty as fishing boats and as third world local coast guard
      boats. (At least that is how I understood the explanation.) Really a
      brilliant idea, on a micro budget they could develop alliances
      throughout the world which could be worth zillions in the event of the
      next crisis in the next obscure port in a back corner of the world.
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic