60868Re: Rudder end-plates on a Micro

  • Greg Flemming
    Aug 1, 2009
      Thanks for the comments about the Gloucester Yawl, all:

      Singapore trainer? must look that one up. I agree totally that the Amherst Galley is a wonderful boat, but a MUCH bigger project than a Gloucester Yawl. I guess it is an unusual looking boat but it does have a certain something? There's a picture of one in Bolger Boat Photos, built in San Diego.

      Stitch & Glue should make the Gloucester Yawl easier to build though, shouldn't it?

      The comment on the pic. in bolger boat photos is that it was "tricky" and wet.

      Greg

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

      > >> Take the Gloucester Yawl in Small Boats, I am surprised that
      > >> this boat
      > >> hasn't taken off.
      >
      > > It might be fun, but it's a hard boat to build (comparatively), ...
      >
      > I'm with Chris on this one. I think there are lots of better designs for the purpose, including some by PCB. Depending on what characteristics you want to preserve, the Amherst Galley and the Singapore training boat come to mind right away. John Welsford's 6-Meter whaler was designed for about the same purpose.
      >
      > Anyway, the market (if you want to call it that) has settled on copies of the Cornish Gig for rowing adventures. The program is more important than the boat.
      >
      > If you want a fast boat and are into history, then a copy of American Star/General Lafayette is very appropriate.

    • Show all 35 messages in this topic