59827Re: [bolger] Re: Tennessee Build.

    Feb 27, 2009
      On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 8:15 AM, my48cj2a <my48cj2a@...> wrote:
      > So how do we go about getting plans? Does the moderator know? What if
      > we need help with them? I have to have it built in a certain amount of
      > time. I might have to go with something where the plans are easier to
      > get. When do the customers count?

      I know from experience that obtaining the plans is about 10% of the
      joy and 0.001% pain of the process called building a boat.

      If you are in a hurry to get a boat, building a boat is almost
      certainly not the fastest way (or cheapest way) to get a boat.

      Phil Bolger is 82 years old, and he may be doing something else at the
      moment. Though, historically he has a reputation of quick reply.
      Another thing that happens occasionally is that he gets a question via
      fax (but with no return fax #), or he gets a letter via postal mail
      (with no return address). Also, if your question is complex,
      sometimes he needs time to think of the answer. Or, if rude, he has
      the option of ignoring you.

      Buying plans gives you some right to ask questions about the design,
      and to a lesser extent to ask questions about the building process.
      But Bolger is a designer, not a builder, so questions about building
      boats are better directed towards experienced boat builders.

      If you are planning to build a boat, I strongly recommend building
      scale boat models first. That way you can figure out the details
      cheaply and quickly before embarking on the bigger and more expensive
      full size project. This could even start not, while waiting for the
      plans.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic