59692Re: [bolger] Re: Tennessee Build.

  • John Kohnen
    Feb 6, 2009
      The Atkin designs are being sold by John's widow, Pat, with some help from
      me. I don't recall being asked if Gwen o' the River is trailerable, and
      the curt reply sounds more like Pat. Her one sentence answer was correct
      (I'm kind of surprised it wasn't one word <g>), but I probably would have
      explained it a bit more. Built as designed, Gwen o' the River is not
      trailerable. If the construction was changed to plywood planking, which'd
      require some rengineering, she'd be "trailerable" in the sense that you
      could put her on a trailer and take her somewhere, or store her on a
      trailer, but the process wouldn't be for the faint of heart, and you
      couldn't just trundle her down to the river for an afternoon on the water.

      Selling boat plans isn't like selling donuts. We'd like to sell lots of
      plans, but we're not interested in selling plans to someone if the boat
      won't serve their purpose.

      On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 12:50:09 -0800, Jon K wrote:

      > With respect to limited information about the Atkin design, I got the
      > sense that the current business is run by a widow or other relative
      > of one of the Atkins who may not have much additional information to
      > provide. Perhaps someone else on this forum can provide more details.
      >
      > Jon
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "my48cj2a" <my48cj2a@...> wrote:
      >> I had thought about building the Atkins "Gwen O' the river" but
      > the
      >> Atkin & Co people have not been able to answer any of my questions
      >> about it. And when they did it was one sentence and that was
      > it. ???.
      >> If I am not worth the time as a paying customer why build the boat?
      >> Besides,I have seen pictures of the Tennessee in action. Nice
      > looking
      >> boat. I can't find any of the Gwen O' The River. If it could be a
      >> trailerd boat we would see more of them(their loss).

      John <jkohnen@...>
      As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first.
      <Joshua Slocum>
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic