59665Re: 11'6" Cruising Canoe

  • graeme19121984
    Feb 3, 2009
      I too think it a real boat.

      "deference to sheer convention": the vaka (not sure of the ama) has a
      conventional curving sheer under a Minimum Kayak-like cockpit
      coaming; unlike the Eeek! in which tradition is dispensed with, going
      all the way to the pointy square box, or nearly so, with only a nod
      to nautical norms via some paint trickery.

      The sheer and cut down sides do allow for the double paddle some may
      prefer; given there's enough space between the iakos. All up, it may
      be a bit lighter than Eeek!, and more easily cartopped when broken
      down.

      I'm not sure the crew would contribute much to stability in the ESC -
      displacement was listed at a massive 8300lbs. I can never figure
      where PCB gets all that weight from - it seems much out of proportion
      to the rest of the scale-ups from Eeek! and Anhinga and doesn't match
      the sketched waterline as shown. Much more than an AS29 too! But then
      the listed displacement of AS29 on her supposed sailing waterline can
      only be close to light ship displacement; to sail well the skipper
      would have to be as weight conscious as any similar LOA multi
      skipper. Not too sure about some of PCB's displacements for cruisers -
      - Wish II is another for instance.

      Graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...>
      wrote:

      > By deference to convention, you mean adding the ama? I view this
      > canoe as a real boat one could use. I recall reading the essay re
      > EEEK!, and realizing it was intended as a scale model of a larger
      > design, built for "proof of concept", than a practical, working
      boat.
      > Thus, the instability when the sailor sat up was acceptable because
      > the crew of the full scale version would be expected to manage their
      > contribution to CG better. I've had similar problems with kayaks
      > because of my height and weight.
      >
      > I think bolger may have mentioned adding an ama to Eeek!
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Looks really functional, notice the family lineage with Eeek!
      > > >

      > > But... at a minimum, the deference to sheer convention?
      > >
      > > Graeme

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic