      From: David C. <d.cassidy@...>
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: Small boat vs. small boat
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 8:20 AM

      I built an Elegant Punt several years ago to act as the tender to a Catalina 22. Nice boat. I always got compliments at the dinghy dock. I, too , would put two adults and two small kids in it (plus a couple of bags of stuff -- food, towels -- gas can) for rowing out to the mooring.

      I built exactly to the plans/specs, with the bottom covered in fiberglass. I could lift it into the bed of a pickup, or maybe even carry it a few feet hanging off my shoulder, but I would have had trouble putting it on the roof of a car by myself (It's not long enough to lift one end at a time as high as a car roof). With two people, it would be easy.

      I've never built the other two, but I have the plans and have studied them. I don't think any of these would be more or less difficult to build than the others. They're all pretty simple and about the same procedure -- cut out the sides -- join them with the stem/transom; put in the chines and gunwales; measure and install the bottom; finish the interior and the sailing bits; paint.

      DavidC