59442Re: Water Ballasted Chebacco

  • mcdennyw
    Jan 13, 2009
      Graeme,

      I modelled the full keel 246# lead ballast design (Bolger's 'Cruiser'
      version) and the RM is right in between the no ballast and water
      ballast designs. At 20 degrees the 246# lead gives RM of 1393 ft-
      lbs. No ballast RM is 1041, water ballast RM is 1883.

      The vertical CG of the water ballasted boat is 2.5" lower than the
      one with lead ballast. The lead is lower but only half the weight.:

      > Denny,
      >
      > that sounds all to be good. Great.
      >
      > I wonder how much different are the figures for the lead ballasted
      > keel version. They'd cost a little extra in the 246lbs to trailer,
      > and another 6 inches of draft. I wonder if that lead ballast keel
      > might add a bit more than the 500lbs internal water ballast to
      > initial stability, but then not to final stability?
      >
      > Graeme

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic