59388Re: Water Ballasted Chebacco

  • Jamie Orr
    Jan 9, 2009
      Hi,

      Somone in this thread asked if anyone had ballasted a Chebacco. If
      you check the earliest Chebacco Newsletters, which are archived at
      www.chebacco.com, you'll see there was a boat owned by Sister Krista
      with 300# of ballast. When sold the boat the new owner didn't waste
      much time before removing the ballast.

      I have an unballasted Chebacco and have never felt the need for
      ballast. My feeling is that PCB got it right, why screw it up?

      Jamie Orr
      S/V Wayward Lass

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mcdennyw" <dwolfe@...> wrote:

      > In casting about for a sail boat that two (geezerish) people could
      > weekend on and I could tow comfortable behind my RAV4 (like to stay
      > below 2000# incl trailer, lighter is better) I first spent a lot of
      > Freeship time massaging Garden's "Eel" to make it bigger but
      finally
      > decided I ought to find a larger, simpler (no boomkin or bowsprit)
      > boat. Most designs are ballasted, making them too heavy for me to
      > trailer. Irens' Romilly is a beauty but has an 1150# lead shoe
      >
      > Bolger's Chebacco fits my parameters pretty well and comes in 19.5'
      > and 25' glued lapstrake versions. No ballast so the weight on the
      > trailer for the 19'er is about 1100#, about 1350# for the 25. (all
      > according to Freeship). There is a nice Chebacco website with lots
      of
      > good pics to keep me surfing the net instead of shoveling snow.
      >
      > Since I can't leave well enough alone, I'd like to improve two
      things-
      > 1) Get rid of the flat bottom. It must be a carry over from the
      > sheet ply version. Building lapstrake, it wouldn't be much extra
      work
      > to carry the strakes down to the keel. This would improve the looks
      > IMHO and avoid the chance for ripples to slap against the bottom at
      > anchor. 2) Add some ballast to stiffen the boat (geezerish,
      remember -
      > no hiking straps).
      >
      > Hey - how about filling the extra volume created by the round
      instead
      > of flat bottom with water? Now the boat will float on its designed
      > waterline, no extra weight on trailer and considerably stiffer.
      Turns
      > out there is room for 500# of water under the sole. Wetted surface
      > only goes up 2%
      >
      > Using water ballast adds weight and righting moment without making
      > the boat more "sinkable" or more difficult to trailer. It does add
      3
      > inches to board up draft but I can live with that. Righting moment
      at
      > 20 degree heel increases from 1040 to 1440 ft-lbs, at 40 degrees
      from
      > 1270 to 2520 ft-lbs. To put these numbers in perspective, at 20
      > degrees I create a righting moment of 390 ft-lbs sitting on the
      > windward seat; 320 ft-lbs at 40 degrees. So the water ballast is
      like
      > having 4 extra people sitting to windward when it's getting hairy.
      >
      > Negatives: the exra 500# will reduce the speed by about 10% unless
      > sail area is increased and there is some added construction
      > complexity.
      >

      > What do you think? This seems like such an obviously good idea I
      must
      > be missing something. I'd be especially interested in hearing from
      > actual Chebacco owners
      >
      > This notion is also posted on the WoodenBoat Forum at
      > http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?
      > p=2060781&posted=1#post2060781
      >

      > There you can see Freeship renderings of the two hulls and the
      > righting moment curves.

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic