59355Re: [bolger] Re: Water Ballasted Chebacco

  • eheins@corlink.com
    Jan 8, 2009
      Denny,
      I have a very stock sheet ply version. No ballast. The CB is
      only weighted to the basic spec to facilitate lowering and staying
      down. I do not necessarily get significant wave noise when at
      anchor, but have never spent the night on board. I day sail it
      mostly. Never capsized, but I'm a conservative sailor I've only
      ever heard of one knockdown and that was in Penobsoct Bay as I
      recall, but I could have that wrong. A scary ride is relative. As
      I said, it's a big dinghy and needs to be handled with a sensitive
      hand on the main sheet. At least that's how I sail her. The
      rudder is surprisingly effective given the size and I tend to sail
      it through the wind. Being unballasted I try to think that it's a
      big laser and use the main to help tack. The mizzen at best is a
      steadying sail, and in many wind conditions more aesthetic than
      functional.
      Be sure that it's cut dead flat by the way. I hear with any camber at all
      it induces some negative helm characteristics. I wouldn't know about that
      since I had Bohndell cut my sails to Bolger's specs and they are
      excellent.

      Hope this helps,

      Ed

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic