59026Re: Copyright and Boat Building...

  • rmdeming
    Nov 12, 2008
      Sound like a good topic for a poll.

      Personally, I build from the originals, but see nothing wrong with
      making a working copy so that you have the original just in case you
      cna not see the dimension through the coffee rings ;-)

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Pierce Nichols" <rocketgeek@...>
      wrote:

      > Depends on the year the boat was designed. If it was designed
      before the
      > passage of (IIRC) the Sonny Bono Copyright Act (which, in general,
      is
      > nothing but corporate welfare for Disney et al) in the mid 1990s,
      it is
      > unprotected. If afterwards, it is protected. Now, if you think
      about it,
      > this makes a certain amount of sense -- Steve has the first part
      precisely
      > right, and in addition, relatively few people can build a boat from
      a raw
      > set of lines, and those who can have to do most of the designer's
      task in
      > order to do so.
      >
      > The real problem with copyright law, as now conceived in the US, is
      a larger
      > version of the problem Steve identified with advances in hull
      shape. Cory
      > Doctorow goes over it better and in far more detail than I'm up to
      here:
      > http://www.locusmag.com/Features/2008/11/cory-doctorow-why-i-
      copyfight.html.

      > -p
      >

      > On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Steven Rose <paradox_4@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Since were on the topic; what If a person had gone to the
      local
      > > Marina and took the lines of a random boat to make up their own
      plans.
      > > Perhaps those lines happen to be from a Bolger Boat, then it
      seems to be
      > > all
      > > ok! Yet to copy a piece of paper with the same information is a
      great evil
      > > to many in the boating world. I suspect if Bolger or anyone else
      had never
      > > taken a line or an idea off someone else's design in the first
      place we
      > > would still be building Dugout Canoes and Pot boats. Law is
      different in
      > > every country anyway so it really doesn't apply, I think using
      common sense
      > > and respect is more important. Don't sell Bolgers plans for
      profit, give
      > > him
      > > recognition for the great work he has done. Staples, just has
      blanket rules
      > > that I suspect only part of the staff follow anyway, go to five
      Staples and
      > > I suspect you would have the copies.
      > >
      > > Steve

      Behalf Of
      > > John Kohnen
      > > Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 2:06 AM
      > > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: Copyright and Boat Building...
      > >
      > > There isn't a darn thing illegal about making copies for your own
      use, as
      > > long as you're not selling them or giving them away. It fits into
      the
      > > notion of "fair use." I don't like intellectual property pirates
      either,
      > > but that's not what Staples was refusing to do.
      > >
      > > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 08:31:56 -0800, Chris C wrote:
      > >
      > > As far as I can tell, you're upset because a business followed
      the law.
      > > > Do you want us to be upset too?
      > >
      > > --
      > > John <jkohnen@...>
      > > It is better to have loafed and lost than never to have loafed
      > > at all. <James Thurber>
      > >
      > > ------------------------------------
      > >
      > > Bolger rules!!!
      > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or
      flogging dead
      > > horses
      > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred'
      posts
      > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
      01930, Fax:
      > > (978) 282-1349
      Yahoo!
      > > Groups Links

      11/9/2008
      > > 2:14 PM
      > >

      > > ------------------------------------
      > >
      > > Bolger rules!!!
      > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or
      flogging dead
      > > horses
      > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred'
      posts
      > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
      01930, Fax:
      > > (978) 282-1349
      Yahoo!