59015Re: [bolger] Re: Copyright and Boat Building...

  • Pierce Nichols
    Nov 9, 2008
      Depends on the year the boat was designed. If it was designed before the
      passage of (IIRC) the Sonny Bono Copyright Act (which, in general, is
      nothing but corporate welfare for Disney et al) in the mid 1990s, it is
      unprotected. If afterwards, it is protected. Now, if you think about it,
      this makes a certain amount of sense -- Steve has the first part precisely
      right, and in addition, relatively few people can build a boat from a raw
      set of lines, and those who can have to do most of the designer's task in
      order to do so.

      The real problem with copyright law, as now conceived in the US, is a larger
      version of the problem Steve identified with advances in hull shape. Cory
      Doctorow goes over it better and in far more detail than I'm up to here:
      http://www.locusmag.com/Features/2008/11/cory-doctorow-why-i-copyfight.html.

      -p