58965Re: oarlock placement?

  • bill shamblin
    Nov 2, 2008
      i set a coleman canoe up to row by sitting on the floor on a low
      wooden crate and cushion totaling about 6" from floor. then i
      screwed two 4" 2x4" blocks the the gunnels and screwed a 5' long 2x4
      down crosswise on top of them. i drilled 1/2" holes in the ends of
      the 2x4 for the oarlocks which made a first class rowing ststion for
      homemade oars of bannister rail and screw-on plywood blades. it
      didnt matter if the rig was slightly off center fore and aft.
      sorry no picture.

      bill in nc

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bcd5194" <reenbrad@...> wrote:

      > Hello to all,
      > Looking for advice on oarlocks for my "Waterman 16" canoe (I know,
      not
      > a Bolger boat, hope you guys aren't offended). When
      > building, didn't think about rowing, I mainly sail, but tired of
      > lugging that battery
      > and motor around, so tried setting up for rowing. Problem is, the
      > center seat is about 5 inches too high for rowing; I could lower
      the
      > seat (lots of work!), or I could raise the oarlocks (easy, but
      ugly!).
      > I've posted pics in photo section titled "rowing?". Hopefully you
      can
      > see in the pics where the old sidemount oarlocks were and where
      they
      > need to be. Just need a "3rd eye" view. Maybe one of you knows a
      > better way altogether.
      > Cheers and thanks for any and all responses,
      > Bradley

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic