      From: bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bolger@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      davy riggs
      Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:39 PM
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [bolger] replace epoxy with resorcinal??

      There may be a few folk who become sensitive to
      polyurethane (although I haven't personally heard of
      any) but here's the thing: epoxy is CARCINOGENIC!

      Also resorcinol is not suitable for adhering
      fiberglass. Remember the clamping pressure I
      mentioned? And if one DID use it for that, the volume
      of glue would be stupendous and the stuff is REALLY
      EXPENSIVE. Not a realistic method.

      I would get Payson's book (whichever one applies best
      to your project) and use his method. It happens to be
      the cheapest and at least we know it works.

      Dave

      --- "Christopher C. Wetherill"
      <wetherillc@verizon. <mailto:wetherillc%40verizon.net> net> wrote:

      > I don't know if resourcinol will hold glass or
      > polyester cloth. Harold
      > Payson discusses its use in building instant boats
      > for bonding wooden
      > components together. I do know that it is a
      > "sensitizing" adhesive. I
      > hear anecdotes about people who have worked around
      > it for years being
      > unable to work with plywood. I believe polyurethane
      > has a similar effect.
      >
      > Chris
      >
      > bill shamblin wrote:
      > > builders,
      > >
      > > allergic to epoxy from previous boats, and wary of
      > suiting and gloving
      > > to build a catboat, i wonder if i can make
      > adequate wood joints with
      > > resorcinol?? the glued-together boat would have
      > polyester or
      > > vinlyester glass cloth inside and out?? thanks in
      > advance for any
      > > help.
      > >
      > > bill in nc

      > removed]

      I have given two cousins to war and I stand ready to sacrifice my wife's
      brother. -Artemus Ward