58939Re: replace epoxy with resorcinal??

  • David
    Oct 25, 2008
      Jon is correct on this one. Resorcinol was used a lot in boatbuilding.
      It does granulate and fail over time. My latest reminder of this is a
      client who's restoring a Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer. The original masts
      were a hollow rectangle, glued up (according to the factory) with
      resorcinol. When they pulled the 40 year old stick, it got bumped and
      some of the glue lines failed, just as Jon describes. The PO decided
      not to try to salvage it (though I think it could have been), so he
      chopped it into 3 lengths and stored it inside the boat. We're talking
      now about what type of adhesive to use for his new stick.

      "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with
      potatoes" -- Douglas Adams

      **************

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote:

      > No and the Forest Products Testing Lab also talks about the failings of
      > resorcinal over time. The glue itself cracking when the joint is
      > stressed. Weldwood also gets brittle with time and shows a cristalen
      > fracture. This is why epoxy made for glueing joints is more elastic
      > then epoxy made for glassing and coating.
      >
      > Jon
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim" <titanicslim@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm sure that is correct, and the main reason a resorcinol joint must
      > > be very strongly clamped. It is nothing at all like epoxy and other
      > > resins. (Which reminds me: might the failed joints you mention
      > > sometimes in fact be plastic resin glue- PRG? Weldwood.)

      > joints
      > > > fail over time.
      > > >
      > > > Jon

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic