58938Re: replace epoxy with resorcinal??

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Oct 25, 2008
      No and the Forest Products Testing Lab also talks about the failings of
      resorcinal over time. The glue itself cracking when the joint is
      stressed. Weldwood also gets brittle with time and shows a cristalen
      fracture. This is why epoxy made for glueing joints is more elastic
      then epoxy made for glassing and coating.

      Jon

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim" <titanicslim@...> wrote:

      > I'm sure that is correct, and the main reason a resorcinol joint must
      > be very strongly clamped. It is nothing at all like epoxy and other
      > resins. (Which reminds me: might the failed joints you mention
      > sometimes in fact be plastic resin glue- PRG? Weldwood.)
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@> wrote:
      > >> resorcinal gets brittle over time. The same reason old chair
      joints
      > > fail over time.
      > >
      > > Jon

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic