58936Re: replace epoxy with resorcinal??

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Oct 25, 2008
      The Lightning I am restoring had all the laminations and joints glued
      with resorcinal and screwed togather. Built in 62 and stored indoors
      for the last 6 years. Nearly every joint the glue had failed because
      resorcinal gets brittle over time. The same reason old chair joints
      fail over time.

      Jon

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, davy riggs <titanicslim@...> wrote:

      > There may be a few folk who become sensitive to
      > polyurethane (although I haven't personally heard of
      > any) but here's the thing: epoxy is CARCINOGENIC!
      >
      > Also resorcinol is not suitable for adhering
      > fiberglass. Remember the clamping pressure I
      > mentioned? And if one DID use it for that, the volume
      > of glue would be stupendous and the stuff is REALLY
      > EXPENSIVE. Not a realistic method.
      >
      > I would get Payson's book (whichever one applies best
      > to your project) and use his method. It happens to be
      > the cheapest and at least we know it works.
      >
      > Dave
      >

      > --- "Christopher C. Wetherill"
      > <wetherillc@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I don't know if resourcinol will hold glass or
      > > polyester cloth. Harold
      > > Payson discusses its use in building instant boats
      > > for bonding wooden
      > > components together. I do know that it is a
      > > "sensitizing" adhesive. I
      > > hear anecdotes about people who have worked around
      > > it for years being
      > > unable to work with plywood. I believe polyurethane
      > > has a similar effect.
      > >
      > > Chris
      > >
      > > bill shamblin wrote:
      > > > builders,
      > > >
      > > > allergic to epoxy from previous boats, and wary of
      > > suiting and gloving
      > > > to build a catboat, i wonder if i can make
      > > adequate wood joints with
      > > > resorcinol?? the glued-together boat would have
      > > polyester or
      > > > vinlyester glass cloth inside and out?? thanks in
      > > advance for any
      > > > help.
      > > >
      > > > bill in nc

      > > removed]
      > >

      > I have given two cousins to war and I stand ready to sacrifice my
      wife's brother. -Artemus Ward

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic