58933Re: [bolger] replace epoxy with resorcinal??

    Oct 25, 2008
      Boats were built for thousands of years before epoxy and fiberglass
      were invented.

      They achieved strength using mechanical fasteners, nails, screws and
      bolts. (Still a good idea for important joint, even if you use epoxy
      glue.) The planking can be made very waterproof using caulk in the
      seams. The decks were often waterproofed with a skin of canvas sealed
      with oil paint.

      On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Christopher C. Wetherill
      <wetherillc@...> wrote:
      > I don't know if resourcinol will hold glass or polyester cloth. Harold
      > Payson discusses its use in building instant boats for bonding wooden
      > components together. I do know that it is a "sensitizing" adhesive. I
      > hear anecdotes about people who have worked around it for years being
      > unable to work with plywood. I believe polyurethane has a similar effect.
      >
      > Chris
      >
      > bill shamblin wrote:
      >> builders,
      >>
      >> allergic to epoxy from previous boats, and wary of suiting and gloving
      >> to build a catboat, i wonder if i can make adequate wood joints with
      >> resorcinol?? the glued-together boat would have polyester or
      >> vinlyester glass cloth inside and out?? thanks in advance for any
      >> help.
      >>
      >> bill in nc
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic