58584Re: [bolger] type of abrasion? Polyester fabric and checking

  • Kenneth Grome
    Sep 9, 2008
      > The one time I used Xynole, it sucked up sooo
      > much epoxy, I have no doubt that I could have
      > doubled the thickness of the bottom plywood
      > for more strength at less cost.

      I agree that more wood instead of Xynole and epoxy will make
      a stronger bottom. It will also make a heavier bottom
      which in some cases is better for the boat's performance,
      especially in a sailboat that can use some extra weight
      down low.

      But if the goal is abrasion resistance so that maintenance
      can be minimized, Xynole is a better choice because it will
      resist being worn through more than wood or wood and
      fiberglass, and in this case the boat won't need to be
      hauled and repaired as quickly or as frequently in order to
      prevent water from getting into the wood after a bit of
      rubbing on a rough beach or some rocks or whatever.

      The thing is, many people these days are spoiled. They want
      all the fun that comes with owning a boat, but they don't
      want to be bothered with the 'hassle' of maintenance and
      repairs. For these people Xynole may make more sense than
      more plywood because it keeps the bottom waterproof better.

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com