      From: bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bolger@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      adventures_in_astrophotography
      Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 8:59 AM
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [bolger] Re: seizing rope onto double paddle for Payson Pirogue

      Hi Michael,

      > I just finished building a Payson Pirogue, a double-paddle canoe
      (deckless
      > kayak), described in "Boats with an Open Mind." I built a pair of
      double
      > paddles according to Bolger's plan. He calls for wrapping rope on
      the ends
      > of the handle, near the paddles. He describes this as "drip
      seizing" rope
      > onto the handle. He sketches a nice, neat wrap.
      >
      > Can anyone suggest how this is done? What sort of knot is used to
      make it
      > look neat? It reminds of building structures in Boy
      Scout "pioneering" in
      > which we "wrapped and frapped" cordage around logs to join them
      together. I
      > think we started the wrap with a clove hitch, and ended it with a
      clove
      > hitch.
      >
      > Anyone got a better idea? Can you point me to a diagram of how
      this is
      > done?

      I used rope to make leathers and buttons on set of oars a while back,
      all without knots. I glued the starting ends of the leathers to the
      oar, wrapped away, then glued the other end. For the buttons, which
      are probably closer to the drip rings on a double paddle, I used a
      hot knife to cut both ends of a piece of rope and quickly stuck the
      two ends together while they were still hot. Then I slipped the ring
      down the oar handle and epoxied it in place. I then brushed all the
      rope with epoxy, down in the "valleys" between the wrappings and
      such. This process is described in Payson's book "Build the New
      Instant Boats" in the chapter on Gypsy.

      The oars are backup for a motorboat, and I've only used them once to
      sneek up to a fishing spot, so I can't comment on longevity. Rubber
      drip rings for double paddles are available online, assuming your
      paddle comes apart to get them on the shaft.

      Jon Kolb