58187Re: [bolger] Polyester resin questions

  • Kristine Bennett
    Jul 25, 2008
      From what I've used polyester and it's been a lot, he would want to get one that was for marine use. They tend to stick better to wood. When he does his layup he is going to need to scuff up the wood and give it some tooth and then prime the wood and let it tack then go over it with like a 2 oz mat and something like a 7781 cloth. The hassle with using the 6 oz boat cloth is it's very open and you can and will have all kinds of pinholes.

      He just has to remember DO NOT GET ANY RESIN WITH WAX IN IT!!! Yes it will stay tacky for a long while. But I have found that cheap paint will also stick to it very well.

      I checked with my supplier and the 7781 is 8.7 oz and is cheaper then the 6 oz boat cloth. It also has a higher thread count and has a satin finsh so it will be easer to get a nice paint job..... One of my suppliers is www.fiberglasssupply.com I like working with them and they have most of what I need when I need it. They also ship any where in the US

      I'm with you on the paint. But seeing how he is planing on using polyester why not use gelcoat and not mess with paint? At a later date he can take a sander to the gelcoat and smooth it for a real paint job.

      Drop me a note if you need any advice or how to tricks. He will need some tools for working the air bubbles out of the mat before he puts the cloth down.

      I have used more polyester  then epoxy by about 1000 to 1 or more. When I have seen the wood glass bond fail was do to not doing the job right the first time.

      Blessings all and enjoy the weekend.

      --- On Fri, 7/25/08, Patrick Crockett <pcrockett@...> wrote:
      From: Patrick Crockett <pcrockett@...>
      Subject: [bolger] Polyester resin questions
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, July 25, 2008, 5:53 AM

      A friend just asked me for advice about fiberglassing plywood for

      replacing the sides on a horse trailer. I would think that polyester

      would be a fine resin for this and less expensive than epoxy, but I

      haven't used polyester for about 40 years.

      I vaguely recall people saying polyester doesn't always stick well to

      plywood. I had no such problem 40 years ago, but maybe I was lucky. Are

      there issues or practices to be careful about to ensure adhesion? Does

      it matter whether he uses plain old exterior fir or pine?

      I know where to order gallons of epoxy but I don't know where to go for

      polyester. When I was kid, my dad brought it home from somewhere --

      never knew where. May have bought it at the place where they

      manufactured Dolphin sailboats. Does anyone have links to sites for

      purchase? Would West Marine or a local agricultural supply place be

      sources? (Those are the places I go for trailer kits.)

      Are there issues around formulation, like with epoxy where you can pay

      more for non-blushing formulas?

      Will any old paint do when he is done? I suggested latex porch paint, he

      had been advised to go with a marine paing (a one part polyurethane, I

      imagine), but that really seems like overkill to me.

      Thanks for any help/advice.