58185Polyester resin questions

  • Patrick Crockett
    Jul 25, 2008
      A friend just asked me for advice about fiberglassing plywood for
      replacing the sides on a horse trailer. I would think that polyester
      would be a fine resin for this and less expensive than epoxy, but I
      haven't used polyester for about 40 years.

      I vaguely recall people saying polyester doesn't always stick well to
      plywood. I had no such problem 40 years ago, but maybe I was lucky. Are
      there issues or practices to be careful about to ensure adhesion? Does
      it matter whether he uses plain old exterior fir or pine?

      I know where to order gallons of epoxy but I don't know where to go for
      polyester. When I was kid, my dad brought it home from somewhere --
      never knew where. May have bought it at the place where they
      manufactured Dolphin sailboats. Does anyone have links to sites for
      purchase? Would West Marine or a local agricultural supply place be
      sources? (Those are the places I go for trailer kits.)

      Are there issues around formulation, like with epoxy where you can pay
      more for non-blushing formulas?

      Will any old paint do when he is done? I suggested latex porch paint, he
      had been advised to go with a marine paing (a one part polyurethane, I
      imagine), but that really seems like overkill to me.

      Thanks for any help/advice.

      Patrick
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic