58006Re: Weston Martyr - Not for $200 nor Millionaire - but how much?

  • graeme19121984
    Jul 4, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@...> wrote:

      > The point about using steel for WM ...

      Yep, steel is tough, and as the saying goes: "nothing seals like
      steel." Easy to repair - and supplies and know-how almost anywhere.
      The maintenance must be attended to, as with anything else I suppose.

      Yes, I wondered about the heating: on how the internal cabin volume
      is not large, and in temperate waters it would seem a small heater
      would do. Then again I believe in winter Bolger always had a heater
      going in his Resolution clad from higher R value material.

      Where it's warm and sunny a thin walled steel tank is going to get
      quite hot inside. Definately white topsides/deck (awning too?), but
      also maybe insulation under the deck. More attention to ventilation
      than shown in the article could help too, with a large cowl rigged to
      catch any breeze when moored and direct it below decks etc. Still,
      there are plenty of professional and owner built steel yachts about
      so they can be habitable. I think PB&F wished to avoid the
      complication, and expense, of the various methods of
      protecting/insulating the steel.

      Do you think the Weston Martyr building procedure is designed
      similarly, or adaptable to that of the 2nd stage of the Jesse Cooper
      build? If the mostly erected hull is upright on the ground with large
      openings in the sides for easy access, then the internal fit out
      would be less of a chore. There's plenty of incomplete hulls about,
      and it seems the slowness (& expense) of fitting out could be a major
      reason why projects are abandoned.

      I reckon this dipping lug would be mostly tacked with help from the
      motor. I also think it would mostly be shortened too. On small
      expanses of water I wonder if the two sharpie sails alone might not
      provide sufficient propulsion in a breeze? They certainly should tack
      easily enough, and help manouvere the boat.

      Could the mainsail have a boom fitted for sailing more confined
      waters; maybe turn it into an optional loose-footed balanced lug?

      I think a steel AS39 would be a goer. And maybe not too long now
      before plywood runs out anyway - forest clearance, climate change,
      and bio-fuels etc.. - peak ply?

      Graeme
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic