57979Re: [bolger] Re:Weston Martyr - Not for $200 nor Millionaire - but how much?

  • Fred Schumacher
    Jul 1, 2008
      I played around with using Weston Martyr as a starting point for designing a
      motorsailer to fit inside a 40 foot shipping container. I widened it to 7.4
      feet and shortened to 39.5 with a 7.4 foot height over all so it would go
      inside a standard, not hicube, container. Put a bow transom on it, a box
      keel underneath, and moved the center cockpit aft six feet. With the box
      keel there's standing headroom throughout. The main mast is in a trunked
      tabernacle, tilting forward, and drains through the single offset
      centerboard to one side of the box keel. Two 200 gallon tanks are at
      midship, with berths above. Engine would be a small, light industrial diesel
      like a Hatz 3W35. I'm no Phil Bolger, but I like using his concepts as
      mental exercises. If I were to build a boat like this, I would want to use
      pressure-treated plywood, with the hull skin as a torsion-box, that is,
      treated plywood outside, one inch of foam, and 3/8" baltic birch on the
      inside, all glued and screwed. It would be tough, insulated and unsinkable.