57745Re: Folding schooner

  • Peter Kortlucke
    May 25 1:53 AM
      Hi Bruce

      The original plans as in "The Folding Schooner" called for 12 inch by
      12 inch by 24 inch foam in the midships area (on each side) and
      filling the forepeak with foam (which doesn't count much as it's so
      near the centreline).

      Calculating buoyancy for this foam (in kg, since that's easier, is
      approx 3 by 3 by 6 equals 54 kg = 130 pounds approx)

      Even Bolger's rules allow each hull to weigh 150 pounds stripped so
      combined weight must be more than 400 pounds.

      I doubt it would float very high on the rail at all. The only other
      reports I have read are with the light scooner and they need help to
      recover after capsize.

      We did add a ballasted centreboard rather than the twin bilgeboards,
      but I'm not sure it makes much difference- I'd like to try with a
      standard non ballasted board.

      Peter

      > On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Peter Kortlucke
      > <pkortlucke@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > The flotation tanks work brilliantly in a capsize (only happened
      once)
      > > and we were sailing again in a couple of minutes.
      >
      > Yes, I can imagine.
      >
      > Also, the 'per plans' folding schooner still has many hundreds of
      > pounds of buoyancy in the midships flotation chamber that I figure
      she
      > also would also pretty high up on rail in a knockdown.
      >
      > Your modification has the advantage of providing a 'seating surface'
      > when hiking out. Also, I notice you have a ballasted centerboard?
      >
      > Here is an isometric rendering of a more-or-less "per plans"
      Folding Schooner.

      > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2516328089/

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic