57710Re: Folding schooner

  • Peter Kortlucke
    May 22, 2008

      We certainly modified the design quite a lot.

      The flotation tanks work brilliantly in a capsize (only happened once)
      and we were sailing again in a couple of minutes.

      The extra weight is not so much as the stiffening effect of the tanks
      acting as torsion tubes means most of the framing was eliminated. All
      up weight with a steel centreboard is 250kg.

      The bottom is a lot stiffer than the sides with the tanks and beefed up
      to half inch in some areas so I wouldn't trail it sideways.

      > Thanks for the photos. Those are the most descriptive photos of a
      > Folding Schooner I have ever seen. If I am not mistaken, I see that
      > you have 'boxed-in' the sides, adding huge "knock down" flotation
      > buoyancy, plus adding side decking, a good place to sit when hiking
      > out. This adds a bit of weight (an issue when folding), but I think
      > is an overall improvement to the design. It is interesting to see how
      > the hull can float (and fold) on her side. Raising the question:
      > Might she rest on the trailer better on her side?
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic