56909Re: Tools for Nicopress?

  • txsailor37
    Feb 26, 2008
      Quote:
      "Lets see new mast 4 to 6 grand or more, all new rigging 3 to 4
      grand, repair sail 500 dollars, replace lights and wiring and radio
      gear 300 dollars then to install it... 5 to 10 grand. For that I can
      buy a lot of diesel. They say the wind is free but being able to use
      it is not!"

      I think that you should compare the price of repairing a lost mast to
      the price of a diesel engine damaged by neglect rather than the price
      of diesel. If you lose the diesel engine on a motor yacht, I would
      think that $10 grand would be a drop in the bucket!

      Bobby

      > When I was working on sail boats we got a boat shipped to us and we
      were rerigging it one of the guys was tuning the rigging and two of
      the stays snapped. As I recall the mast had a kink in it and the mast
      was taken down and all rod ends were taken to be xrayed.

      > The other time we were heading north to Alaska for the fishing
      season it was a nice day wind was 10 to 15 and sunny but cool. There
      were half a dozen boats out it was a nice sight. There was one 40
      plus foot boat that caught my eye. I was looking at it then turned to
      talk to Dad and looked back and no sail! So we went over to see if we
      could help. The mast had broke off just above the first spreader, do
      to the rigging braking. We used our deck crane to lift the mast out
      of the water and load it on the deck we also helped get the sail out
      of the water. They were lucky no one was hurt.

      > Lets see new mast 4 to 6 grand or more, all new rigging 3 to 4
      grand, repair sail 500 dollars, replace lights and wiring and radio
      gear 300 dollars then to install it... 5 to 10 grand. For that I can
      buy a lot of diesel. They say the wind is free but being able to use
      it is not!
      > I know the small boat mast wouldn't cost that much to replace. If
      you brake the mast you just make a new one.