56690Re: [bolger] re:Ultralite Tortoise

  • Mark Albanese
    Feb 1, 2008
      Hah! Went back to Lowes thinking 'hey, might as well grab 5 or 6
      sheets." Couldn't find two. Curled, raw looking, truly enormous
      boats, and, worst, the underside already suffering a lurid gray mold.
      To be rid of that you I've spent a long time bleaching the xxx out of
      it. If it's that way coming out of the store it won't last long in my
      neighborhood. I just don't want to mess with it.

      Thinking the occume... A gold plated Tortoise is an amusing idea. But
      maybe not so practical. I've also been figuring up the true
      dimensions of one of Gavin's _Little Bretons_. That's probably a
      better place to sink $49 a sheet.

      For a novice sailor, the Torti may be the better boat though.

      Yes, the 3 x 7 foot door skins at HD looked good. That's confirmed
      not exterior glue though, and I'm not inclined to glass it all. May
      as well go for the better sheets.
      With 8oz glass filled with epoxy, I'm somewhat surprised yours still
      feels any lighter to you than stock 1/4" sheets.

      BTW I love your rope handle setup. Proves again that genius rests in
      the obvious.

      On Feb 1, 2008, at 2:07 PM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

      > On Feb 1, 2008 1:09 PM, Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:
      >> Looking for plywood yesterday, no worthwhile 1/8th inch found.
      > It is just a Tortoise, and I used the cheapo $9/sheet door skin at
      > Home Depot.
      > Sheathed both sides with 8oz cloth and epoxy, it seems plenty strong.
      > The whole build probably totaled 10 man hours, spread over 10 days.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic