56139Re:Hatch building

  • Col
    Nov 30, 2007
      Thanks Mason,
      If "the slides lie outside, or aft, of the bulkhead, and go in
      rabbetted frame-pieces?", I guess that means the slides don't finish
      flush with the ply in the bulkhead?

      Thanks for the tips re the hatch rails, I know one thing, nothing will
      be glued until all is working!

      Col

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mason smith" <masonsmith@...> wrote:

      > For me, the hardest thing about the companionway plans for the Micro
      was the after ends of the hatch-rails. They don't seem to have any
      lateral support, and I wasn't sure where to end them, and how to trap
      the sompanionway slides in at the top. Took a little drawing and
      thinking and studying of the plans but I think I got it right, or
      adequately near.
      > The "slot" for the slides, which you refer to, was not built
      according to plans on my hull, and I decided to cope with it the way
      it was. On a new boat, I'd do it like the plans. Don't they show the
      bulkhead itself as the inner frame of the slot? So that the slides lie
      outside, or aft, of the bulkhead, and go in rabbetted frame-pieces?
      However you do the slots, be sure to carry the hatch-rails aft as far
      as necessary to cover the edges of the slides. Tricky.